Monday, February 23, 2009

Apple Blueberry Crisp

I recently found this recipe on the Martha Stewart website. I was asked to bring an apple crisp to my son's Blue & Gold dinner. Joe loves cooked apples. However, most canned apples that you buy in the store are full of High Fructose Corn Syrup which is something we avoid at our house. I went searching for a recipe so that I could make an apple crisp from scratch. I liked this recipe because it had blueberries. Did you know that blueberries reduce your risk for some cancers? Did you know that blueberries are also considered a brain food? It is believed that blueberries have a strong impact on reversing memory loss. Blueberries also improve your vision, clear your arteries & strengthen your blood vessels. In the 5 a Day The Color Way for Better Health Program we are encouraged to consume 5 a day of fruits and vegetables and eat our colors. Blueberries is on the top of the list in the blue/purple category. This recipe is definately a keeper.


Apple Blueberry Crisp
2 sticks cold butter
2 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup dark-brown sugar
1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp mace
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
2 cups blueberries (I used frozen)
8 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, & sliced thin
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp flour
Vanilla ice cream
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place your oven rack in the lower third of your oven. Butter a 3 quart baking dish (I used my 9x13 pampered chef stoneware pan) and place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet, set aside. (My pan didn't overflow).
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon, mace, & 1/4 tsp salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until large clumps form. Mix in the oats & set aside.
In a large bowl, toss together blueberries, apples, lemon juice, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, flour, and reamaining 1/4 tsp salt to combine. Pour the blueberry apple mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the oatmeal mixture, covering the fruit evenly. Bake until juices are bubbling and the topping is evenly browned, about 50 minutes. Cool slightly and serve warm with ice cream. YUM!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Sounds delicious...we love apple crisp and blueberries!! I will have to try this one for family night tonight!!

April Kennedy said...

that sounds amazing! i am trying to eat more blueberries....they aren't my favorite raw though. I need them cooked or frozen in smoothies!