Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Day

Do you remember when you were young and handed out Valentine's & candy to all of your classmates? Today as I sent Joe off to school he contemplated about whether or not he wanted to even attend his class Valentine's party. I told him that he could call me if he decided not to stay and I would come & pick him up. Apparently he chose to stay because my phone never rang. My heart broke a little as I drove to the school & saw all of the children happily skipping home with their little bag of Valentine goodies. I knew that when I picked Joe up, he would have to hand over his bag of loot. Joe can't eat anything that has food dyes because it causes problems with his ADHD and Tourette's. We also recently discovered that he has an intolerance to corn & citric acid which is corn-based. When he eats it, his tics & his rages become worse and not only is it difficult to live with him, but he finds it difficult to be him. I braced myself for the battle that would ensue when I asked for his candy. However, he was very agreeable & gave it up to me without even a negative thought. He commented on how grateful he was that some of the kids in his class gave him non-food treats because they know that he couldn't eat most candies. Wow! Tomorrow we are going to take him to a play. We need to find an activity that we can enjoy with him outside the home that doesn't involve eating out because that isn't an option with him anymore. Somehow Valentine's day seems different. I feel like I had to cheat Joe out of some of the innocent fun of childhood. However, I am at peace because tonight Joe is happy & not full of anger.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

That makes me so sad for Joe. He's such a cute kid...have fun at the play! (Which one are you going to see??)

April Kennedy said...

that was beautiful Rochelle. and I know the heartbreak, but the joy that comes from him choosing to do what is right for him is amazing...and those sweet kids that brought non-food items...don't you wish every child could be like those handful of kids!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Rochelle, what a great Mom you are. Your little guy is where he needs to be in your home with your love and understanding, just like our Blake. I know it is hard and frustrating at times but Heavely Father knows you and knows Joe. I guess I can't think of you as that beautiful little girl with the wonderful curly hair anymore. You are a beautiful woman and mother with the curly hair.:)
With love, Toni

Rochelle said...

Toni,
I don't know if you will see this, but I wanted to let you know that it was so nice to read your comments. I really appreciated them. Thank you. I have many wonderful memories of our families camping together and just "hanging out" on the holidays while I lived in Napa.
Rochelle